Thursday 6 February 2014

Week 1

Hello to everyone and thanks to all staff and members who have made me feel so welcome to Poulton Park Golf Club. I look forward to meeting many more new faces over the next few weeks. 

I've almost completed my first week as Head Greenkeeper and it has been fantastic! Work has been steady with attention being paid to clearing fallen tree branches around the golf course and the clearing of hawthorn and brambles by the ditch alongside the 4th hole. Some stellar work has been done by the club's members through their volunteering. They should be very proud of their work.

Ryan has been helping me to familiarise myself with a new work environment. Since James left the club in January, Ryan has done a great job on the course and I'm sure everyone will acknowledge that. I'm confident he will continue to develop his greenkeeping skills over the next few years and I look forward to assisting and encouraging his career development.

This week, I wanted to get the greens cut to tidy them and to smooth the putting surfaces. We have, however, seen some Fusarium patch disease on several greens. This is linked to the mild, wet weather that prevails at the moment as well as the thatch layer below the greens' surfaces. Therefore, we have also solid tined the greens in an effort to ensure the greens remain as dry as possible and to assist surface water drainage.

This year, I am confident that we can present a well conditioned golf course. Let's keep our fingers crossed for a season of fine weather. In addition, it is my intention  to identify and address areas for improvement on the golf course. It will take time but we will get there.

Enjoy your golf and all the best for 2014!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Early season greens renovations

Hello (patient) members Well, turn of the new year, we greenkeepers were hoping that the weather would turn a corner and provide some much n...